Friday, March 1

My Father and Emmett Till


My old man enjoyed telling stories. Some educational… some fictional... some heartfelt…some exaggeration. Some too damn everything to actually be true.  Most of these stories, though, are now etched in my consciousness to the point that I can start, pause, exaggerate, and finish them as well as he used to. Maybe he was just a master storyteller. Maybe I just heard each of them too many times. Either way, they became such a part of our love/hate relationship that it feels like they’re my stories now too.
Some of these stories are a bit more memorable than the others, though, and one of these involve the first time he became aware of Emmett Till. He was thirty-five years old when the famous Jet Magazine featuring Emmett Till’s gruesomely disfigured face hit the newsstands. It was at that moment that the civil rights struggle became real to him. That’s what he told me. Sure, he was aware of how volatile things were becoming in the South. And, although Gary, Indiana wasn’t Money, Mississippi, he’d already experienced racism. No fire hoses and lynching’s, but racism still.
But, for a Black man, seeing stuff on an old black and white TV, or hearing your friends talk about it doesn’t compare to the visceral impact of seeing an image like that in person. In his mind, if something like this could happen to a Black kid, it could happen to him too. My old man wasn’t the only one who had that reaction when seeing Emmett Till’s picture.

For many folks—white and Black, who weren’t on the front lines, the fight for equal rights was real, but still somewhat mental battle. The circulation of that picture served as one of the many “Wake up!” flashes that occurred in that decade, an instant that shocked Black people into action.
I thought of this Tuesday while reading a few of the articles published this week marking the one year anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s murder. I’m sure we all remember how his death electrified the Black nation. I seriously can’t remember another time in my 58 years where so many folks were so visibly united against injustice. We marched and cried. We organized and demanded. We rocked hoodies. And, despite what some people seem to think now; this action did manage to achieve the immediate goal. A year ago, George Zimmerman was a free man. Right now, he’s awaiting trial for murder, and I don’t think for one minute this would have happened without the motherfucking ruckus we caused.

But, while Martin’s death had distinctive circumstances, it was a part of a much bigger picture…..gun violence in our communities…that still remains epidemic. Yea, violent crime has been on a decade-long decline pretty much everywhere…even Chicago, but saying 600 murders a year is better than 900 is like saying AIDS is better than Ebola!!
 We’ve collectively tried everything from severe gun control laws to support groups involving ex-gang-bangers to reduce this tide, and nothing seems to really help. Well, we’ve tried almost everything.  I still read 4 newspapers a day at least four or five times a week. (Yeah, it’s easier to read the paper online, but there’s something about reading, holding, and folding that still draws me to it) Often, I read about the murders in our community. Sometimes, people I personally know will be involved in the murder in some way. More times than not, though, I have no connection to the murder victim. They’re nothing more than a name, age, and location. And, while the news will sadden me, I usually forget all about it by the time I get to the sports. I doubt I’m the only one who goes through a similar process.

 But, what if the paper and every other magazine, show, program, periodical, and website reporting on the news started running pictures of the dead along with the stories? Not the prom and Facebook profile pictures that’ll sometimes be used when the story airs on the news, but the pics of how they look right now. Dead!! The crime scene photos!! CSI type pictures! The bloodied, bullet-riddled bodies!! The shotgun-shelled corpses left with half of a head. The seven year olds with holes where their hearts used to be!! The faces with lifeless eyes still open, forever staring until a family member or sympathetic detective closes them. The rotten, unrecognizable blobs lying in woods or underneath houses, found only because it’s getting warm outside and they’re starting to stink. I doubt they’d be as forgettable. I doubt we’d be able to turn the page as easily, to let them escape our minds as we read box scores or play a damn Facebook game. I doubt we’d be as willing to say and continue doing nothing. It worked for my old man. I wonder if it would work for us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment