Wednesday, May 21

#BRING OUR GIRLS BACK ……..IT JUST AIN’T FOR ME…..here’s why!!

All of you who read my posts and follow my blog (www.phillipnorton.blogspot.com) know that I’m not against online activism. In fact, I believe in it, and have always been moved by the power it wields. Yea, I have played a part in various Internet campaigns and have seen the power that lies in us Black Americans when we’re aligned to create change from behind our computers. It felt good to lend a hand and to know that my small financial contributions made a difference sometimes.
 But I think (hash-tag) activism should be used with caution, especially when it comes to issues affecting our beloved Black community. Sometimes, it risks contributing to a false sense of accomplishment while hiding the full picture of what’s really taking place in the hood. That's why, after one post, I stopped participating in the crusade, which was designed to draw attention to the dilemma of the 200 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by the Boko Haram (I like that name for some reason?) last month.
 I worried that this was becoming one of those situations in which folk feel an unfounded sense of accomplishment. This campaign has been going on for weeks, and it's become agonizingly clear to me that while the hash-tag has drawn out all kinds of attention, the news coverage ain’t enough to make a difference to the people at the center of this sickening story….the Nigerian girls who have not been brought back and who, despite all of the hash-tag tweets, remain in severe danger. The kidnappings are still an international focus of discussion, but the focus of America’s reporting on the plight of the girls has fallen off quite a bit. In fact, by the time all of the fake ass celebrity attention and major media outlets got on board with the story, more than two weeks had passed. A popular attitude in the Black community is that we have to work twice as hard for equal results. 
I think a version of that idea really applies here. When it comes to pushing for justice we have to be especially deliberate. Social media activism might not be as powerful as you think it is when it comes to concrete results, when we Black folks are dealing with situations that call for more than just raising awareness. Get it?
  My crazy and selfish concern isn't that it's hopeless, but that it’s making us feel as if the job is done; therefore keeping us from taking a course of action that may be more effective in the long run. I particularly worry about how the #BringBackOurGirls campaign will turn out when I think of some examples from the past: The United States Supreme Court has torn apart Affirmative Action, and George Zimmerman got off. Hum? Considering these outcomes, I had to make sure I was honest with myself about the fact that a hash-tag might not do too much to help with the return of the girls. But what the hell would help? What are our options? That's a question I challenged the Angry Black Man to answer. Doing "something else" don’t mean picking up and moving to Nigeria or sleeping outside the embassy. One quick ass way to make a difference in the conditions that led to this calamity would be to take some time to learning more about abductions in Nigeria and in other areas of the world, so that those silly comments and tweets are based on your personal research, not just second hand demands.
 I'd personally rather see real social change in Nigeria than temporary, hash-tag attention. We know that never lasts long, don’t we? Plus, the other remarkable thing about the Internet is that we don't need the main stream media to be our middleman. Hum again! I'm very concerned that this cause…..the value of the lives of girls, is now being even further watered down, with the Twitter discussion going off into who gets the credit for the campaign. And credit should be the furthest thing from anyone's mind. I do congratulate Twitter users for getting the media's attention, and I’m thankful that so many folks care about this issue. 
But I'm also careful not to let myself become satisfied. For me, that means skipping the hash-tag and focusing on understanding and learning about why this shit happened, what is essential to fix it, and how we can make sure it doesn't happen again. I’m out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment